Monday, December 10, 2012

Tis the season to the target stranger



As I was admiring the cute snow globes in the saint george target, a woman came up to my personal bubble and started telling me about how she snuck out of her house to shop and has over 1800 different nutcrackers and how they range from the giant blow up ones to the tiny pinky sized ornaments.




She then continued to tell me how she is so grateful for her 5 sons. but how one is just okay and how 3 of them are pretty good. Then continued on to her (favorite) son who takes care of her and how he pays for everything, all her medical bills and groceries and how he is always willing to help with anything. At the moment when I thought she was going to leave, she came back and said how grateful she is for her life and is grateful for the Christmas season and that she really does love all 5 of her sons and is grateful for them and how she has nothing to complain about.


She said "I live in sunny Saint George, I don't have to shovel snow or worry about being warm at night. I have a home, it may be messy and it may have a lot of things all over but I have a place to live and a loving family. I'm glad I'm not a lonely cat lady that will die alone, I am more blessed than most. That's what it's all about darlin, be grateful for the people in your life and make sure you enjoy Christmas this year! Make it special!"


As I was smiling and nodding I started to actually listen to this woman. I realized that she is one of the few who has it figured out. No matter her 1800 nutcrackers in her home or the pen that she had at the top of her head poking out like a unicorns horn. She got it. I saw the woman underneath everything and she understood what life is all about.


Tis the Season to be jolly or joyful as the woman at target showed.


Christmas is one of the most amazing times of year. It is not over-rated, it does not get old, Santa is timeless, it is The most Wonderful Time of the Year! The spirit of Christmas is real. Christmas brings those we love back together, it is magical and unforgettable.


I remember all the times my siblings and I played in the snow and were out in the cold so long all of our layers of clothes were wet. I remember perfect snowfalls and how everything seemed so perfect in life with just a white blanket of snow over the ground, I remember skiing and snowboarding and breaking bones from having too much fun, I remember helping my brother decorate our house with lights to win contests, I remember Christmas pajamas the elves brought and getting all dressed up with my cousins to do the nativity, and Christmas movies, hot cocoa, Temple square, the annual orange in the stocking, the classic extended family parties, perfect snowfalls, setting cookies out for Santa, sneaking downstairs to see if I could actually meet The white bearded jolly man and just the memories of the time spent with all those I hold dear.


Tis the season my friend. I hope that no matter how old we all get, that we will always remember the true spirit of Christmas.





No comments:

Post a Comment